The Association of Biosafety for Australia and New Zealand (ABSANZ) is committed to protecting the privacy of our members and the confidentiality of personal information provided to us. We endorse the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and have adopted them in our management of personal information.
This policy sets out how ABSANZ collects and uses personal information that is provided to the Association and specifically deals with:
- Collection of personal information.
- Use and disclosure of personal information updating personal information.
- The right to check personal information held by ABSANZ confidentiality and security of personal information contact and complaints.
ABSANZ may update or change this policy to consider changes to operations and practices and to ensure that the policy remains appropriate, relevant and complies with legislated privacy principles. When this policy has been amended, it will be published on the ABSANZ website. Please check the website to review this policy regularly.
2.0 Collection of personal information
- information including name, address, telephone, email and facsimile contact details from members and non-members on membership applications, membership renewal forms, newsletter subscriptions and event registrations
- information from browsers when you visit our website such as your server address, domain name, date and time of your visit, the pages visited, the page you came from, the type of browser, and selected information for statistical purposes
- information when you contact us in person or via the telephone, send us a fax or email or attend our functions, conferences, workshops, or seminars
- financial information about individuals purchasing ABSANZ products and services. This includes credit card details and/or bank account details
- information on non-members from a wide range of personal contacts and referrals; and personal information when you request services from us or register for workshops, seminars, conferences or other ABSANZ events.
If you send ABSANZ an email, that address will be recorded automatically by the email system for the purpose of replying to your email. However, for normal communication with you, ABSANZ will use the email address you provide in your membership application/renewal, unless you request us to use a different email address.
In accordance with the ABSANZ email policy, any emails you send will be automatically scanned which may result in your email or attachments being blocked. ABSANZ IT administrators may have access to your emails to authorise the content for security purposes only and not thereafter.
ABSANZ collects personal information if you enter any personal information into the website, complete a membership form, attend an event, complete a survey or supply personal details through any form of correspondence in order to receive information.
3.0 Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information collected by ABSANZ is essential to organisational activities, and ABSANZ maintain and use personal information in written and/or electronic form in order to provide you with information, products and services that will be of professional benefit.
- performing the role of a professional body, including the provision of membership services, and compilation of member statistics
- managing membership and membership renewals
- fulfilling subscription requests and member services
- registrations for events and allocation of Continuing Professional Development points
- assessing eligibility for membership category
- delivering functions, conferences, workshops or seminars
- supporting ABSANZ committees and working groups
- notifying ABSANZ members via regular mail or email, about important professional news, including products, services and announcements
- supporting peer-to-peer networking.
ABSANZ may disclose personal information that is collected about members or non-members to organisations that perform services on behalf of ABSANZ in connection with maintaining or servicing ABSANZ membership or processing requests for products or services, including event managers, sponsors, news aggregators, news providers and researchers.
ABSANZ does not share or sell membership information or personal information acquired from members. ABSANZ may from time to time provide an ABSANZ sponsor with delegate’s lists but only with your permission. Any external organisations wishing to contact ABSANZ members are advised that they are only able to make contact with ABSANZ members through advertising, sponsorship and other partnerships.
ABSANZ collects and maintains personal information about non-members for the purpose of providing information about membership, services and products. ABSANZ maintains and uses this information in written and/or electronic form.
If ABSANZ are advised that a non-member does not want ABSANZ to provide them with information about membership, services and products, ABSANZ will comply with their request.
4.0 Updating personal information
ABSANZ endeavours to ensure that the personal information held is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You may update your personal information held by ABSANZ directly online or by contacting us.
You may opt out of any further contact from ABSANZ at any time. However, it may then not be possible to provide you with some or all of ABSANZ’s services and products.
5.0 The right to check personal information held by ABSANZ
In accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, you have the right to access any personal information which ABSANZ holds about you, and to ask to correct any errors or delete such information.
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, ABSANZ may require evidence of your identity before providing you access to information about you or to change information. ABSANZ may deny your access where, exempted by law, or if your request is frivolous or vexatious.
To access any information ABSANZ hold about you, please contact the ABSANZ Office at email@example.com or +61 3 9087 9988.
6.0 Confidentiality and security of personal information
All ABSANZ data is stored in written and/or electronic form and ABSANZ maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information. ABSANZ restrict access to personal information about members and non-members to those employees and third-party providers who need to know that information to deliver ABSANZ products and services efficiently and effectively. ABSANZ are committed to ensuring that any personal information you provide remains confidential and secure.
ABSANZ will destroy or permanently de-identify your information when it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected, or when ABSANZ are required by law to do so.
7.0 Contact and complaints
If you have a question, concern or complaint regarding the way in which ABSANZ handles your personal information, you should contact the ABSANZ Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 3 9087 9988.
ABSANZ will acknowledge receipt of any complaint within five business days and will endeavour to provide you with a written response within 28 days of receipt of your written query. There may be instances where this is not possible due to the contents of the complaint. In such circumstances, ABSANZ will respond to your complaint in a reasonable and practical timeframe. You may wish to contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 if you are not satisfied with the outcome.
ABSANZ are unable to assist you with a privacy complaint involving another ABSANZ member. If you have a privacy complaint about another member, you should take up your complaint directly with the member concerned.
For information on privacy and the Privacy Act (including the Australian Privacy Principles), refer to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website: www.oaic.gov.au.
8.0 Policy Review
This Policy is to be reviewed annually or at the direction of the ABSANZ GFRC and ratified by the ABSANZ Board.