ABSANZ Training: Australia New Zealand Standard 2243.3 – Safety in Laboratories
The Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZS2243.3 is widely acknowledged as industry best practice in this region of the world and every biosafety professional should have an in-depth working knowledge of it. ABSANZ training doesn't attempt to replace the Standard - every business should purchase a copy of it, and other associated standards, and you should be referring it regularly.
ABSANZ has developed this training to assist you to become familiar with the Standard and understand how to use it to set up and maintain the biosafety and biosecurity systems in your business.
Standards are regularly updated, and ABSANZ will update this training to keep up with changes. Currently we are working under the 2010 version and this training is based on this version, however ABSANZ acknowledges that a new version is expected imminently.
As an introduction, you may wish to view the On Demand Webinar by Neil Walls that highlights the changes expected in the new version. The webinar makes a useful companion to this training and is available to ABSANZ members (free) and non-members ($60+GST), click here.
Our customised training on AS/NZS 2243.3 comprises nine parts:
- Part 1 What is the AS/NZS 2243.3 and what is a microbiological lab? This module provides an introduction and background to the standard, and will also teach you about the requirements, responsibilities and general guidelines relating to safety in laboratories where microorganisms are handled during research or teaching.
- Part 2 What are risk groups? This module provides an introduction and background to the standard AS/NZ 2243.3, risk groups, classification of human and animal clinical and diagnostic specimens, steps to take if you want to work with a microorganism, Security Sensitive Biological Agent (SSBA) and quality assurance of cultures.
- Part 3 Who has responsibility for microbiological lab safety and how do you do a Risk Assessment? This module provides an introduction and background to the standard AS/NZ 2243.3, and the requirements, responsibilities and general guidelines relating to safety in laboratories where microorganisms are handled during research or teaching.
- Part 4 What is Physical Containment (PC) and how do you transport biohazards? This module details specific features and requirements for physical containment in labs and transporting of biohazards.
- Part 5 Which Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) do you need to use and how do you manage waste? In this module we will examine Personal Protective Clothing and Equipment including selection to minimise risk, and waste - harmless waste, sharps waste, infectious waste, other waste.
- Part 6 Which chemical disinfectants do you use? This module provides an introduction to the types of chemical disinfectants – factors affecting activity, choice and properties as well as susceptibility of microorganisms and contamination of disinfectants.
- Part 7 How do you clean the lab? This module provides an introduction to spills of microorganisms in the lab, techniques for avoiding spills and cleaning up as well as further steps.
- Part 8 How do you use Autoclaves, Freeze Driers and Liquid Nitrogen? This module provides information on special equipment in the lab including autoclaves, freeze driers and liquid nitrogen.
- Part 9 How do you use Centrifuges, Biological Safety Cabinets, HEPA Filters, Laminar Flow Cabinets and Fume Cupboards? This module provides information on special equipment in the lab including centrifuges, Biological Safety Cabinets, HEPA Filters, Laminar Flow Cabinets and Fume Cupboards.
There are three training options available – all provide access for three months commencing on the date of purchase:
1. AS/NZS 2243.3 Full course – Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (entire collection, best value!):
- ABSANZ members: $950+GST
- Non-members: $1,350+GST
- Introductory offer – ABSANZ members can save over 5% if you purchase on or before 4 November 2020
2. AS/NZS 2243.3 Fundamentals – Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5:
- ABSANZ members: $450+GST
- Non-members: $600+GST
3. AS/NZS 2243.3 Individual modules – Parts 6, 7, 8 and 9 can be purchased individually:
- ABSANZ members: $170+GST per module
- Non-members: $250+GST per module
Register today and get started ...
Go to the online shop, select your purchase(s) and complete the transaction. Payment by Visa or Mastercard is required at the time of purchase. On completion of your transaction you will receive -
- an email from the ABSANZ website including a link to your Tax Invoice/Receipt
- a further email with your access information
- if you have not purchased any online training before, you will also receive an email with instructions on how to set up your account.
If you don't receive these emails within an hour, check your spam folder as your mail server may redirect these system generated emails to these folders.
All enquiries to email@example.com