Setting strategic direction is one of the most important roles for the ABSANZ Board. Each year the Board undertakes annual strategic planning to set the purpose of ABSANZ and have a shared view of why ABSANZ exists. Through this process, the Board identifies strategic priorities for the coming calendar year. This includes identifying the specific function, tasks and duties of each of the ABSANZ Committees.
The ABSANZ Committees add significant value by effectively dealing with complex and specialised issues. They are able to submit recommendations for action to the ABSANZ Board, as the Board retains collective responsibility for decision making.
Governance, Finance and Risk Committee (GFRC)
The primary purpose of the Governance, Finance and Risk Committee is to provide independent advice to the Board and ensure that the Associations objectives are achieved by contributing to evaluating the effectiveness of the risk management system, financial system and Governance processes.
Duties include, but may not be limited to:
1. Ensure ABSANZ complies with Corporate Governance Regulations including, ACNC Rules, Corporations Act, AASB requirements and other best practice corporate governance processes.
2. Oversee ABSANZ Financial Controls and Systems.
3. Oversee the process of identification of risks and the management of risks.
Regulatory and Liaison Committee (RLC)
The Regulatory Liaison Committee (RLC) ensures ABSANZ member representation in relevant regulatory forums and facilitates access to expertise within the membership.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Participation on external regulatory and standards committees.
2. Collation and submission of papers on biosafety and biosecurity matters.
3. Seeking regulatory consistency, harmonisation and co-operation.
Education and Training Committee (ETC)
The Education and Training Committee (ETC) is tasked with providing ABSANZ members and the broader biosafety and biosecurity community with educational tools and resources, facilitating the sharing of knowledge and building expertise across ABSANZ stakeholder groups. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Development of and/or access to training courses and webinars for ABSANZ members.
- Creation of professional development courses, accreditation and recognition.
- Create an annual events training calendar
Membership Development and Outreach Committee (MDOC)
The Membership Development and Outreach Committee (MDC) is responsible for providing membership value and retention through a variety of media and formats as well as being responsible for Stakeholder Management
- Grow and maintain membership
- Create networking opportunities via Special Interest Groups
- Development of membership resources such as the newsletter and discussion forums.
- Engage with key stakeholders
Conference Committee (CC)
The primary purpose of the Conference Committee (CC) is to assist with the delivery of the principle ABSANZ annual networking and educational sharing conference. Duties include, but may not be limited to:
Establishment of a conference theme.
- Creation of the conference program, site visits and tours.
- Oversight of conference exhibitions and sponsorship.