Setting strategic direction is one of the most important roles for the ABSANZ Board. Each year the Board undertakes annual strategic planning to set the purpose of ABSANZ and have a shared view of why ABSANZ exists. Through this process, the Board identifies strategic priorities for the coming calendar year. This includes identifying the specific function, tasks and duties of each of the ABSANZ Committees.
The ABSANZ Committees add significant value by effectively dealing with complex and specialised issues. They are able to submit recommendations for action to the ABSANZ Board, as the Board retains collective responsibility for decision making.
Governance, Finance and Risk Committee (GFRC)
The core role of the Governance Finance and Risk Committee (GFRC) is to ensure good governance and financial sustainability of ABSANZ.
Duties include, but may not be limited to:
1. Annual review and development of ABSANZ governance policies.
2. Management of ABSANZ finances, including the setting and review of budgets.
3. Management of the ABSANZ risk register.
Regulatory and Liaison Committee (RLC)
The Regulatory Liaison Committee (RLC) ensures ABSANZ member representation in relevant regulatory forums and facilitates access to expertise within the membership.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Participation on external regulatory and standards committees.
2. Collation and submission of papers on biosafety and biosecurity matters.
3. Seeking regulatory consistency, harmonisation and co-operation.
Education and Training Committee (ETC)
The Education and Training Committee (ETC) is tasked with providing ABSANZ members and the broader biosafety and biosecurity community with educational tools and resources, facilitating the sharing of knowledge and building expertise across ABSANZ stakeholder groups. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Development of and/or access to training courses and webinars for ABSANZ members.
- Creation of professional development courses, accreditation and recognition.
- Supporting membership value.
Membership Development Committee (MDC)
The Membership Development Committee (MDC) is responsible for providing membership value and retention through a variety of media and formats. The MDC and ETC collaborate to develop educational material, share knowledge and build expertise. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Delivery of training courses and webinars for ABSANZ members.
- Development of membership resources such as the newsletter and discussion forums.
- Engagement with members.
Conference Committee (CC)
The primary purpose of the Conference Committee (CC) is to assist with the delivery of the principle ABSANZ annual networking and educational sharing conference. Duties include, but may not be limited to:
Establishment of a conference theme.
- Creation of the conference program, site visits and tours.
- Oversight of conference exhibitions and sponsorship.